If you suspect you have a faulty gas appliance, call 0117 9760771 or 07836 537576

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Carbon Monoxide - how to spot the signs something is wrong


Could you tell the difference between the flu, food poisoning a hangover or carbon monoxide poisoning?

Read on to find out what to do if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak.

First of all what is carbon monoxide and why is it a problem?


Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, tasteless poisonous gas developed by carbon-based fuels. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use, it is only when the fuel is not burned properly that is excess amounts of CO is produced, which is poisonous. If CO enters the body it prevents blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues and organs. You can’t not see it, taste it or smell it but it kills quickly without warning. HSE statistics say around 20 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues not being installed correctly, maintained or poorly ventilated.

What preventative measures can I take against carbon monoxide exposure?

Does HSE recommend the use of carbon monoxide alarms?


HSE strongly recommends the use of audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarms as a useful back-up precaution but they must not be regarded as a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Before purchasing a CO alarm, always ensure it complies with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kite mark. CO alarms should be installed, checked and serviced in line with the manufacturer's instructions.

You can be particularly at risk from CO poisoning when you are asleep, because you may not be aware of early CO symptoms until it is too late. Having an audible CO alarm could wake you and save your life.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness. Symptoms to look out for include:

For more information visit the NHS website or telephone NHS Direct on 0845 4647.
If you or your family experience any of the above symptoms and you believe CO may be involved, you must seek urgent medical advice from either your GP or an accident and emergency department. You should ask for a blood or breath test to confirm the presence of CO. Be aware, CO quickly leaves the blood and tests may be inaccurate if taken more than four hours after exposure has ceased.

How do I know if I am at risk from carbon monoxide?
Although carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas, signs that indicate incomplete combustion is occurring, resulting in the production of CO, include:

What should I do if I think my appliance is spilling carbon monoxide?

For further advice and information please call us on 0117 9760771 / 07836537576 or emailinfo@markcameronheating.co.uk

 

Contact Details

Address:
Mark Cameron Heating
3 Eagle Drive
Patchway
Bristol, BS34 5RJ

Phone: 0117 9760771
Mobile: 07836537576
E-mail: mark.cam1@me.com